Following on from my article The Beginner’s Guide to SEO (no towel needed), I thought a small case study might help. I was approached by Tech Drive Driving School in Herne bay, Whitstable and Canterbury, looking for help getting their name found in Google. I analysed their website and found several issues which needed to be addressed immediately. Here are a few of the problems I fixed:
One-Page Website Issues
The website was sleek and modern, hence very minimalist, but what looked simple meant there was very little content on the page for Google (and other search engines) to index. Some websites you may visit – and yours may be one – are “one-page websites” where the links at the top just point you further down the page, but all the content is built onto one page. While this may feel fluid and look very sleek, this can be detrimental for search engines. Google likes one page per topic / key phrase.
If you sold cakes, pies and ice cream, you ideally want one page per product, and to optimise that page for that particular product. Google doesn’t want a person searching for pies to end up on your cake page – and neither do you, as the customer will be frustrated that they haven’t been pointed in the right direction.
Because Tech Drive only sells one product, I needed to make sure to optimise for the area they cover, which I did in creating the Coverage map, and I also bulked out the content a bit by building a separate prices page. In the future, longer testimonials, and perhaps an addition of case studies will help to add to the content of this website.
Visual Composer vs. Meta Descriptions
Aside from installing an SEO plugin and making sure the Page Titles were correct, I also ensured the meta descriptions on each page were addressed, written correctly. The WordPress theme uses Visual Composer, which is a very popular page builder (#1, apparently).
Meta descriptions are the snippets of text under your page title in the results of the search page. Usually they get populated by the first few lines on your page, unless you’ve edited them manually to optimise them for your keywords. One of the issues of using Visual Composer is that it uses shortcodes which get pulled into the meta descriptions automatically by the SEO plugin, (and naturally by Google, if the plugin wasn’t installed).
This means you will need to rewrite all of your meta descriptions manually, following the guidelines of your SEO plugin for length and getting your key words in there (and still sounding human and likeable).
Here’s an bad example of a meta description from this very page:
…and after editing it manually, including my phrase I want to optimise for ‘SEO’ (an example only, as a term this generic is not useful):
In conclusion, addressing Tech Drive‘s need for content and poorly meta descriptions was just the start in their search engine optimisation journey. I hope you’ve found some useful ideas to steer your web content in the right direction.